Monday 13 December 2010

Teen Son Wants to Move(Opinions)

Mom on the forum is seeking advice: "My son will be 16 in Feb and has lived with me his whole life, his father lives 2000 miles away from us and has had your typical visitation over the years (summers holidays). My son is in his sophomore yr of High School now and has gone to school here for all but 1.5 yrs of elementary school. A few days ago he asked me if he could go live with his father for his Jr and Sr. year of High School...I feel like my heart got ripped out but understand his reasons for wanting to move there. However, I really feel that moving at this point in high school is a huge mistake, he will have to not only figure out where he fits in with school but also in the family. He has other siblings there, I never had anymore children so it is just my son, me and my husband. What should I do?"

Denise's thoughts: I think you should talk more about it with him, respecting his thoughts on the matter. If his reasoning is sound and the only reason you don't want him to move is that you will miss him - which is valid! - maybe you can try it for a year and see how it goes?

Either way, both of you making a pros and cons list of what the move would mean and then take time to talk before you make a decision is probably your best course of action.


Please Give Your Comments Below

No comments:

Post a Comment